Blog Posts Updated Every Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Caravan Gals, Won'tcha Come Out Tonight?


Can I get a compass?  They say it’s all about the journey, but shouldn’t you have some sort of idea where you’re going?  When I first started writing this blog I don’t think I had a really clear idea of what I was doing.  Or maybe I did.  I think this blog was meant to track the journey of my Capstone project, and then the blog sort of morphed into a webpage for Jen’s art.  Don’t get me wrong, both things are good, but shouldn’t I just pick one theme and stick with it?  Do I have to pick just one theme and stick with it?

When I first proposed this project to my prof, she told me to pay attention to my inner dialogue.  All I can say is that that’s a whole lot of conversations to keep track of.  First of all, I’m nearing the end of my schooling and I have no idea what I’m going to do with my education.  I suppose I should finally get myself one of those things you often hear people talking about – what are they called?  Oh yeah, a career. 

So what is a career?  Well, Dictionary.com’s definition is “an occupation or profession, esp. one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework”.  I’ve always thought that a career is a professional job that a person not only enjoys, but is good at too.  I feel like I’ve spent most of my life working towards a career, but I just haven’t figured out what my calling is. 

When I say most of my life, I’m really not exaggerating.  In 1976 the United Nations held an international conference on Human Settlements in Vancouver.  My aunt worked for the UN and I thought that working there would be the ultimate.  To that end, I made my parents enrol me in French Immersion because I planned on becoming a translator for the UN...that is until I learned that most translators there are kinda crazy because their jobs are VERY stressful. 

Despite no longer wanting to be a translator, I stuck with my studies in French, and went on to study public relations...and then it was conflict resolution...and then there was my foray into alternative healing.  Yup, I’m certified in EFT, NLP, and Hypnosis (look deep into my eyes).  What else?  Oh yeah, there’s the whole greeting card business, which was followed by my entering university. 

So here I am, nearing the end of university, just a breath away from turning 40, and still no clear direction on my career path.  I’m managing Jen’s art career and I’m very aware of the magnitude of the responsibility.  I’ve never done this before and now I’m looking after things like marketing and contracts – which reminds me, gotta dust off my law text and brush up on contract law. 

So back to this whole blog thing.  It reminds of when Jennifer and I were in our early 20’s and we’d go on road trips together.  We dubbed ourselves “The Caravan Gals” and were of the opinion that we could do anything because we were “Caravan Gals”.  We travelled well together and one of the best things about our trips was that we’d never really have a plan.  Each time we’d reach an intersection, we’d ask each other if we should go right, left, or straight ahead. 

Our maps were used not to figure out where we wanted to go, but to figure out where we were.  On our journeys we had a myriad of experiences that included feeding a homeless person, sending an officer on a police chase after an armed person, Shakespeare, and sleeping in the redwoods. 

So do I really have to have a clear direction for this blog?  Maybe not.  After all, I’m a Caravan Gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment